Monday, September 6, 2010

Thinking You're Naked

I am reading this book right now and I LOVE it! I highly recommend it. It's a silly book about Christians and our quirks, but it has so much truth in it. One more serious chapter really struck me. I have felt like somewhat of a failure in being a wife/mommy/friend/housekeeper/the list goes on. But after reading this I realized who was actually feeding me those lies, and it isn't my Jesus! Here is what the chapter says
Book: Stuff Christians Like
By: Jonathan Acuff
Thinking You're Naked

I don't want to brag, but I'm pretty awesome at applying band-aids. And make no mistake, there is an art. Because if you go too quickly and unpeel them the wrong way, they stick to themselves and you end up with a wadded-up useless mess instead of the Little Mermaid-festooned bandage your daughter so desperately wants to apply to a boo-boo that may in fact be 100% fictional. Half of all the injuries I treat at the Acuff house are invisible or simply wounds of sympathy. My oldest daughter will scrape her knee and my youngest daughter realizing the band-aid box is open will say "Yo, Dad, I'd like to get in on that too. What do you say we put one on, I don't know, my ankle. Yea, my ankle, let's pretend that's hurt." But sometimes the cuts are real, like the day my oldest got a scrape on her face playing out in the front yard. I rushed into the house and returned with a princess bandage. As I bent down to apply it to her forehead, her eyes filled up with tears and she shrank back from me.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"I don't want to wear that band-aid", she replied.
"Why? You have a cut, you need a bandage", I said.
"I'll look silly." She answered.
Other than her sister and her mom, there was no one else in the yard. None of her friends were over, cars were not streaming past our house and watching us play, the world was pretty empty at that moment. But for the first time I can remember, she felt shame. She had discovered shame. Somewhere, somehow, this little 5 year old had learned to be afraid of looking silly. If I were smarted, if I had been more prepared for the transformation from little toddler to little girl, I might have asked her this: "Who told you that you were silly?" I didn't though.
That question didn't bloom in my head until much later, and I didn't understand it until I saw God ask a similar questions in Genesis 3:11. To me, this is one of the saddest and most profoundly beautiful verses in the entire Bible. Adam and Eve have fallen. The apple is a core. The snake has spoken. The dream appears crushed. As they hide from God under clothes they've hastily sewn together, he appears and asks them a simple question; "Who told you that you were naked?" There is hurt in God's voice as he asks this question, but there is also a deep sadness, the sense of a father holding a daughter that has, for the first time ever, wrapped herself in shame.
Who told you that you were not enough?
Who told you that I didn't love you?
Who told you that there was something outside of me you needed?
Who told you that you were ugly?
Who told you that your dream was foolish?
Who told you that you would never have a child?
Who told you that you would never be a father?
Who told you that you weren't a good mother?
Who told you that without a job you aren't worth anything?
Who told you that you'll never know love again?
Who told you that this was all there is?
Who told you that you were naked?
I don't know when you discovered shame. I don't know when you discovered that there were people who might think you are silly or dumb or not a good writer or a husband or a father or a friend. I don't know what lies you've been told by other people or maybe even yourself. But in response to what you are hearing from everyone else, God is still asking the same questions, "Who told you that you were naked?"
And he's still asking that question because we are not.
In Christ we are not worthless
In Christ we are not hopeless
In Christ we are not dumb or ugly or forgotten.
In Christ we are not naked.
In Isaiah 61:10 it says, "For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness." The world may try to tell you a thousand different things today. You might close this book and hear a million declarations of what you are or who you'll always be, but know this, as unbelievable as it sounds and as much as I never expected to type this in a book:
You are not naked!

No comments: